Once again, I am going to write about my discomfort. I hope this blog does not just become a list of my discomforts. "Oh, Lily was feeling awkward today! Let's write about it!" Yeah, this is what makes you a writer, people!
But no! This blog is going to be about things that I blame SOCIETY for making me feel awkward about it. And today, it is religion.
Why is it that religion is such a taboo subject? Why can't we just spout out our religious beliefs to everyone? When I do, however, I find myself losing friends. In one case, a boyfriend (he was a retrospective-crazy, no worries about that.) Anyway, I wish there was some law against this.
I don't think discussing religion is the same as converting people. I think people can have intelligent discussions on God, morals, life and after-life, without forcing others to start worshiping, or screaming "You're wrong!" at other people. In fact, I have had discussions like this, on many occasions.
However, there is something about religion that seems to get people all riled up. They just can't be civil to one another when the topic is in play. And so, it has become taboo. As much as I would love to talk about all my thoughts, its a no-no for me to do it with the world at large. I'm blaming you, society! I'm blaming you for creating all these little politeness laws and especially for creating religion!
But maybe that is what growing up is all about - learning to be confident about sharing your views, without fear of all these silly repercussions. Maybe I need to start changing to world as I see fit. I have to "be the change" like Gandhi says.
Alright, this is my little rant. I'm going to level with you - I'm not really feeling good about my views on this topic. In fact, I think a lot of my views on all topics are not well formed, and perhaps not well-supported (or even right!). But that is what this blog is for. To get a better sense of my feminism. Oh yeah, and to yell about things. I really like yelling.
Monday, December 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment