Really, I love the internet:
"Rape & incest exceptionalists on abortion – This is even worse than straight anti-choice beliefs. Those can be explained in terms of believing a fetus is a full human child with all the attendant rights and privileges. If you are an exceptionalist, though, you can’t possibly believe it’s actually a child. Therefore, you just hate it when women choose to have sex and want to punish them. Well, anyone who thinks that is politely invited to eat shit and die." http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2009/11/12/things-to-which-i-morally-object/
Its strongly worded, but its true. I never saw the argument this way before. I always slightly commiserated with exceptionalists because I thought that at least they were on the right track. But really, making an exception means that you are just punishing a woman for making a mistake. For being stupid, one might say. And is that really a motivation for bringing a child into the world? As a punishment? "Hi Mom, I'm here to ruin your life." This is essentially the situation that an exceptionalist promotes. Disgusting.
The worst part is, that I didn't feel comfortable posting this great quote on my social sites and status updates. Not just because of the wording, but because of the content as well. I feel the need to hide certain of my political and ethical beliefs from my friends and family who might disagree. I am a coward.
But it seems like many people in America are today. I recently had a conversation with an alumni who was upset that people did not discuss politics in a civil manner anymore. Politics has become an even more taboo subject than it once was. A disagreement is usually accompanied by an immediate drop in respect.
At least I can post my thoughts here. We'll see how this continues.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment