In a post by Bitch PhD, she explained how a male colleague of hers came straight out and said "I'm excellent at my job."
"Wow." She replied. "A woman would never say that."
I think this is generally true. It may be that I mix with more than my fair share of people with their heads permanently stuck up their asses, but in my estimation men brag far more about themselves than women. For every one woman I have talked to who has said something self congratulatory, I have met at least five men.
Why does this happen? Is it more socially acceptable for men to brag about themselves than women? This must be the case. No one usually chastises a man for cockiness, but women are often laughed at for their accomplishments. Often upon first meeting a man they will tell you something good about themselves. I cannot put this down to them simply trying to impress women by flirtation, for I have seen it happen between men as well. This need for self justification, for pride, is something overwhelmingly male.
Now, obviously I am painting with a broad brush here. I am not saying that there are not sufficiently modest males, or women so stuck up you want to rip their heads off. Nor do I believe this is somehow hardwired into our DNA. But the need to assert oneself, in no uncertain terms - no fishing for compliments, or false modesty - seems to me a socially taught pattern that is frequently male.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment